Apply for HiSAVE Accounts
1 Who is eligible?
- You must be a UK resident (for at least the last year) and aged 18 or over. Please note:
- The UK does not include the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- Businesses cannot open HiSAVE Accounts.
- You need to provide the account number and sort code of a UK bank or building society current account held in your name(s).
- The account must have a chequebook in your name(s) , should offer direct debit payment facilities & should have electronic funds transfer facility.
- This account will be your nominated linked account – the account from which your initial deposit will be taken.
- You must have a valid email address.
- For a HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account:
You must be able to deposit a minimum of £1,000 for the savings term of your choice. There is no maximum limit on your deposit. No further deposits, withdrawals or early closures are permitted during the term.
2 What documents do I need?
For completing the online application process you won’t need any other documents.
By law, before opening your account we are required to have adequate proof of your identity. For the majority of customers we’ll be able to verify your identity and address online using a variety of sources, including searches using public information bodies.
If we're not able to do so, we'll ask you to send us one document each to prove your identity and address in the UK. To know more about which documents are acceptable, please refer to the FAQs on applying for HiSAVE accounts.
3 How do I apply now?
Existing HiSAVE customers
- The quickest way to apply for a HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account is by logging in to internet banking, clicking 'Open a HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account' and completing the form.
- Alternatively you can call us 24/7 on 0344 412 4444 (calls to this number use free plan minutes if available, otherwise they cost the same as 01/02 prefix calls).
- To apply for a HiSAVE Remittance Account, complete the online application form with the same details as mentioned against your existing HiSAVE Account, including the linked account details.
New HiSAVE customers
- Please apply online. Our simple online application should take around 10 minutes.
If you'd like to speak to someone before applying, you can call us on 0344 412 4444 (Calls to this number use free plan minutes if available, otherwise they cost the same as 01/02 prefix calls). We’ll be happy to help you.
To open a joint HiSAVE account
- Simply complete the joint account holders’ details as part of the online application.
- Joint account holders need to have a shared current account either with us or with another UK bank. This is required so we can link your joint HiSAVE account to your joint current account.
- Each account holder must be able to use the joint account on their own, without the permission of the other account holder.
- If there is a disagreement between joint account holders, one or both of you should promptly contact us in writing. From the date we receive and acknowledge the correspondence, anything to do with your account has to be authorised by both account holders.
4 What happens after I register for HiSAVE?
- After you complete your registration, we will carry out some checks on you and will be able to open your account only after these have been successful. If you do not clear these checks we will ask you to send your identity and address proofs, details of which will be available in the email we will send to you. Once you satisfactorily clear our checks, we will send you a communication to send your cheque.
- You must draw a cheque for the entire amount you wish to deposit (min. £1 for HiSAVE Savings Account or HiSAVE SuperSaver Savings Account - Issue one and min. £1,000 for a HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account).
- Once we receive the funds we will open the HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account for you. If you are applying for a HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account; we will open a HiSAVE Savings account for you as well (Please note that customers having an existing HiSAVE account/s should not apply from here and log into their internet banking account for a shorter & quicker additional account opening process). The proceeds of your HiSAVE Fixed Rate Account i.e. principal on maturity and interest (either monthly or annually) will be transferred only to a HiSAVE Savings Account from where you can either re-invest it into another HiSAVE Fixed Rate account or transfer it to your linked current account without any penalties or notice.
- Cheque for Joint HiSAVE account application to be from a Joint current account held in the same combination